E Cigarette Safety
Perhaps one of the most controversial gadgets today is the electronic cigarette. These electronic cigarettes, or also more commonly referred to as e-cigarettes or e-cigs, are considered to be by some as the best alternative to smoking.
Are Electronic Cigarettes Safe To Use?
The E-Cigarette vs. A Normal Tobacco Cigarette Stick
Safety Concerns Regarding the E-Cigarettes
- The ingredients. Many individuals fear the contents of the e-juice, claiming that it can be potentially dangerous. Let’s compare the ingredients of an average cigarette stick with the ingredients of the e-cigs. Real cigarettes contain tobacco, and once tobacco is burned, it creates tar as well as thousands of chemicals. Aside from tobacco, normal cigarettes also contain other ingredients, like hydrogen cyanide and formaldehyde. Yes, you read that right.
- The e-juice of the e-cigarettes on the other hand is made from nicotine and propylene glycol. Some people argue that propylene glycol can be a hazardous substance, but in reality, propylene glycol is used for many medical purposes. Propylene glycol is an ingredient commonly found in asthma inhalers and sterilized drinking water.
- E-cigarettes can cause heart problems. This is a safety concern that has been disproved by many studies. One research performed an experiment on 20 subjects. 10 smokers were assigned to smoke cigarettes, and the other 10 were assigned to smoke the e-cigarettes. By smoking one normal cigarette stick alone, minor cardiac disruptions were already noticed by the researchers. On a lighter note, no cardiac disruptions were noted for the subjects who smoked e-cigarettes. Researchers believe that the lack of harmful chemicals in the e-cigarettes lead to these results.
- E-cigarettes can damage the lungs. Everyone knows that the first organ real cigarettes targets are the lungs. Chain smokers are susceptible to developing many lung related diseases. Is this the same for those who constantly use the e-cigarettes? A study performed in the University of Athens has concluded that e-cigarette use can lead to significant airway resistance. This resistance can lead to breathing problems, and perhaps to other lung diseases. Unfortunately this is where the study ends, and there is not enough data to conclude if the e-cigarettes are harmful to the lungs or not. Many health experts who support the e-cigarette believe that the e-cigarette is safe given that it is taken in controlled uses.
- The e-cigarettes can potentially lure children to smoking real cigarettes. E-cigarettes can be very enticing, and they promise very little side effects. Since there are lesser consequences that come with smoking e-cigarettes, adolescents become more tempted with smoking these products. This can be a huge problem, especially for those who’ve never smoked a cigarette in their entire life. E-cigarettes can possibly cause nicotine addiction, and it might make non-smokers curious on what it is like to smoke a real cigarette. Since e-cigarettes are not regulated by law, this means people of any age can buy this device. Yes, this means even a child can legally buy an e-cigarette. The e-cigarette is supposed to be a smoking cessation device, but because of its fun features, it just might invite non-smokers to try out this product as well.